Monday, November 13, 2006

here's the new plan

It's funny that Sex Scenes commented about 'flexibility' on my last entry because I have recently decided to be very flexible and attempt a project where I'm writing for a specific audience and away from my usual style.

I'm probably an exception to most of the authors around here in that I don't have a couple finished novels kicking around in the back of my desk. Up 'til now I've written only short stories. I have some really cool ideas for longer stuff, but they're of course all very elaborate, stylized, tightly-structured things. I like to write this kind of thing, but it takes a long time. And not everybody likes it.

Realizing that my career in Information Technology is less than fulfilling and wanting more than ever to make a break for it, I've decided to try and quickly crank out a novel. To make it fast to write and attractive to publishers, I've decided that it should be fun, pulpy and... that it should appeal to teenagers. Sorry, 'young adults'. I honestly had in my idea that I would really like to do something that would make a great comic book, like 'Runaways', with an ensemble cast of kids who have special powers.

So I kind of let that stew in my head for a while. Of course teenager superheroes have been done. So have teenager werewolves and teenage vampires. I wasn't sure if there was anything new I could bring to the table.

And then...

I had a great idea.

Seriously, this is cool. I wish I could tell you about it. But maybe you'll see it for yourself before very long.

Anyways, I'm very excited. Right now I'm trying to sketch out the cast of characters. I think that knowing who your main characters are going into the novel is important. I'll be doing a plot outline too. I don't really "write from the hip" or whatever, I like to know where I'm going. Hopefully that will go quickly though, because I think plot twists for this concept practically write themselves.

So that's the plan at the moment. I'll let you know how it progresses. Stay tuned.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love superhero plots! I have had a number of ideas over the years, but I haven't developed them as of yet.

I do have one cool one where the source of their powers turns out to be EVIL, and when a normal dude finds out, the hunt is on...

Do you have any beta readers, braun?

9:04 AM  
Blogger braun said...

I don't have a formal group, I usually just hand copies out to friends. I'll let you know when there's something more than a notebook full of ideas to read, though.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Short stories, you say?? I'll let you know, all secret-like, just between us, that our stash is a tad short for the next issue of Electric Spec. Send something if you've got it ready! No promises but a fair read...

submissions@electricspec.com

10:09 PM  
Blogger braun said...

Hmm... intriguing. What's the deadline? I actually have a new one in the works that I hope to bang into shape in the next week or so.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Betsy Dornbusch said...

I think our cutoff this time is December 7 or so.

11:47 AM  
Blogger braun said...

Hmm, I think I might be able to swing that.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home