Monday, February 05, 2007

paging Dr. Archer

Betsy over @ Sex Scenes at Starbucks keeps saying nice things about my story and making me blush. I especially like the idea of The Comfort of Mirrors as a "requested story". It makes me sound so professional. Actually, I just happened to have the idea for concurrently with her suggestion that I submit something. Things worked out happily, as you can see.

As noted below, please read it and let me know what you think. I like to think I can take just about any criticism since a) it's actually published and b) there's no possibility of changing it at this point.

You should read the rest of Electric Spec's current issue, too. It's a nice mix of sci-fi, fantasy with a little humor mixed in. I understand that big 'zines like F&SF get more Fantasy than they can handle and prefer SF. I wonder if that's true at ES.

I certainly find that my stories trend towards the fantastic rather than SF. Mirrors is easily the hardest SF I've ever written (I mean that in the "hard SF" kind of way, not as in "the most difficult") and it's not very. Really I just like writing stories that take reality as we know it and tweak one aspect of it slightly. Sometimes that lends itself to the SF metaphor, sometimes not.

3 Comments:

Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Yay for you. I have to remember to download when I am at home, so I can read it. I can't access it at work (gasp! reading stories at work!?!)

I also find that my hard SF isn't very. I was reading an article the other day where it was posited that hard SF is dying out because current science isn't as readily extrapolated as earlier technology. Quantum particles or nanotech aren't as visceral as a rocket ship. But it may just be that it is harder to understand and/or get excited about for most of us writing about it.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know if it's really dying. I would imagine the vast majority of SF has always been 'lite'. I mean, I think of Robert Heinlein or Philip K. Dick or others, and they weren't really hard SF guys. They just told good stories that happened to be set in the future. Just look at Star Wars - for all it's gee-whiz spaceships and robots, pure fantasy.

I thought the book "Blindsight" I read recently was interesting, because it was hard SF, but with a focus on biology and neuroscience instead of physics. I think we may see a lot more hard SF in that vein in the future...

2:09 PM  
Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Hey, Star Wars is mythology of the future! Heh.

I just read Comfort of Mirrors. Great story, Braun!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home